The countdown has begun. I have six months until I will depart on the biggest adventure of my life: a year of continuous travel. I would say about 90% of the time I am very excited and the other 10% I am confused and terrified.
I have a bad habit of not thinking things through. This bad habit replaces my previous bad habit of thinking too much.
I used to spend a good deal of my time overthinking everything so much that I could never make a decision. Over the years I have made an effort to not overthink things to the point that it sends me into a fast downward spiral. Not thinking things through is my way of protecting myself from having a complete mental breakdown. If I think through the challenges and trials that await me when I travel, chances are I will never get on the plane. I find it best to put my blinders on.
For now I have six months to go and I am on track (or should I say back on track) with my budget (70% there!) and I am in the overwhelming stage of planning. I’m not a planner by nature, so I’m not worried about over planning. Instead I have the fear/knowledge that I will be at least slightly unprepared.
My To Do List:
Selling / Donating my Belongings
When did I acquire so much stuff? I living in a tiny New York apartment and yet over the past month I have been able to donate four large black trash bags of clothing, kitchen supplies, and books. And I still have so much more to get rid of. I’m not a clothing-obsessed person, but I have years of hand-me-downs from my mother and I keep holding on to those pesky “skinny” clothes, probably just to torture myself. I don’t plan on getting rid of all of my clothes before I travel. Because I will be subletting my apartment, I must narrow down my non-furniture belongings to fit in a couple of cardboard boxes. Right now I probably have enough to fill a dozen cardboard boxes. I have a lot of work to do.
Buying Travel Gear
I need a new camera desperately. I’m not the type of person that is going to carry around a huge camera all day. I need something that is small enough to fit in my pocket or a small bag.
I also need a lot of miscellaneous things such as packing cubes, a passport cover, and an external hard drive.
I’m not afraid of needles. The biggest issues I have with getting my vaccinations is 1) I’m still trying to figure out where I’ll be going and what vaccinations I will actually need and 2) I don’t have a doctor in NYC. I have missed my “annual” physical three years in a row. Did I mention I’m not so good at planning?
Right now, I only know that I will probably land in Bangkok. Other than that, I have no destinations planned. There are a million places I want to experience life in, but I must narrow down those places to fit my time and budget. I also need to set up an itinerary to get my visa requirements in order.
Do you have any camera suggestions for me?